Believe it or not, winter is right around the corner. The weather and temperatures have already shown up! As the new season approaches, it’s time to start thinking about preparing your home for the cold months ahead. Below, we have compiled a checklist for winterizing your home.
1.Windows & Doors
- Replace worn out weather stripping
- Block drafts with draft snakes, or use rolled up beach towels
- Install storm doors and windows
- Insulate pipes to keep from freezing
- Shut down & drain sprinkler system
- Trim trees that threated to damage property
- Bring outdoor plants inside
- Protect young trees
- Have your furnace inspected
- Clean air ducts, motor and fan
- Change furnace filters monthly during cold & flu season
- Winterize A/C unit
- Reverse ceiling fans
- Replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned
- Prepare a 72-hour emergency kit
- Replace batteries in flashlights
- Keep enough food on hand in case of being snowed in
Click here for a free printable version of this checklist.
Do you have tips for winterizing your home? Leave us a comment below or visit us on Facebook!